I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve never considered myself much of a romantic — my husband and I have never even celebrated Valentine’s Day. But, if anything could manage to turn me into a giant puddle of mush this holiday, it’s definitely some love quotes for Valentine’s Day.
Like I said, I’ve never been big on celebrating the cutesy Valentine’s traditions. My husband is one of those guys who repeatedly insists it’s a “made up holiday.” And, honestly, I really don’t mind. Any attempts we’ve ever made to honor the day always end poorly anyway. A few years ago, we did go out to dinner (a very romantic meal of buffalo wings), even though I felt a strange, tingly pain in my left arm. A few hours later, we ended up in the Urgent Care waiting room, which is truly an interesting place on Valentine’s Day. The diagnosis? I basically had an inflamed funny bone. True story — I don’t have the creativity or imagination to make something like that up. After that interesting adventure, we basically decided to give up on all Valentine’s Day romanticism all together.
But, just because I don’t get into all of the chocolate, flowers, and candlelit dinner hullaballoo myself, doesn’t mean I can’t still appreciate some great romance. And, that’s just what these 20 love quotes are — plain ol’ “awww” inducing, heart fluttering, tear jerking romance. With a few funny ones thrown in for good measure, of course — because I can’t help myself.
1. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
2. “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” — Robert A. Heinlein
3. “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” — William Shakespeare
4. “We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.” — Robert Fulghum
5. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” — Alfred Lord Tennyson
6. “Where there is love, there is life.” — Mahatma Gandhi
7. “Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.” — Joan Crawford
8. “A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and a man cannot live without love.” — Max Muller
9. “Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.” — Zelda Fitzgerald
10. “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” — Emily Brontë
11. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” — Aristotle
12. “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” — Roald Dahl
13. “Come live in my heart, and pay no rent.” — Samuel Lover
14. “Love isn’t something you find. Love is something that finds you.” — Loretta Young
15. “First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love.” — Maya Angelou
16. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” — Audrey Hepburn
17. “We loved with a love that was more than love.” — Edgar Allan Poe
18. “Falling in love is easy. Falling in love with the same person repeatedly is extraordinary.” — Crystal Woods
19. “Love has no age, no limit; and no death.” — John Galsworthy
20. “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” — Charles Schulz
Images: Pexels; Giphy (20)