Here’s the latest in my plan to embrace 366 inspiring quotes during 2016, one for every day of the year.
You’re going to look like a fool.
Yep, it will happen. It’s happened to me plenty of times. It happens to people who are far more talented and successful.
It happens to all of us.
The difference is in not caring. It’s in embracing your foolishness, and having the courage and ambition to keep trying again. So, here are our 30 quotes about foolishness for April. Check them out, and check out the bonus content while you’re at it: 9 Things Great Leaders Say Every Day.
1. “The truth is, I’ve never fooled anyone. I’ve let men sometimes fool themselves.”
2. “Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.”
― Elbert Hubbard
3. “Any fool can make a rule. And any fool will mind it.”
―Henry David Thoreau
4. “People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools.”
― Alice Walker
5. “Until you’re ready to look foolish, you’ll never have the possibility of being great.”
6. “I was young and foolish then; now I am old and foolisher.”
7. “Who’s the more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?”
–Alec Guiness (as Obi Wan Kenobi)
8. “A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”
9. “Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain – and most fools do.”
10. “If I make a fool of myself, who cares? I’m not frightened by anyone’s perception of me.”
11. “Before God we are all equally wise – and equally foolish.”
12. “You can say any foolish thing to do to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, ‘My God, you’re right! I never would’ve thought of that!'”
13. “Our real discoveries come from chaos, from going to the place that looks wrong and stupid and foolish.”
14. “For God’s sake, give me the young man who has brains enough to make a fool of himself. “
–Robert Louis Stevenson
15. “I’m still dealing with the 21-year-old me. That idealist, that purist, that young, noble and somewhat foolish guy… So I tell them to try to hold on to the way they feel right now. Because that’s going to effect them for the rest of their lives.”
16. “There are people who walk against then wind. Then, there are people who pee against the wind.”
17. “We’re fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.”
18. “A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat.”
19. “The best servants of the people, like the best valets, must whisper unpleasant truths in the master’s ear. It is the court fool, not the foolish courtier, whom the king can least afford to lose.”
–Walter Lippmann, American writer
20. “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”
–Sir Winston Churchill
21. “Stay hungry, stay foolish.”
22. “Foolproof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools.”
23. “Life is one fool thing after another where as love is two fool things after each other.”
24. “I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.”
–Frank Lloyd Wright
25. “You grow up the day you have your first real laugh — at yourself.”
26. “I am firm; YOU are obstinate; HE is a pig-headed fool.”
27. “A fool and his money are soon elected.”
28. “I just love making a fool out of myself. I made my living as a clown at kids’ parties for about three years.”
29. “When the water starts boiling it is foolish to turn off the heat.”
30. “If you don’t educate yourself, you’ll never get out of the starting block because you’ll spend all your money making foolish decisions.